Saturday, April 20, 2013

Just a Little Different


This mandala is different from most of my others in that it has so many geometric shapes in it.  At one point I had the sun-shape in the center, two circles around it and lines shooting out in all different directions and of all different lengths.  And not perfectly symmetrical......HORRORS!  Lol!  I wasn't at all sure how I was going to make it work.  But somehow, it came together and I really like it!  And I had to finish off with more organic shapes  around the outside (of course!).  I just wish the colors would show up more "true".  They lack the intensity of the real thing.

This was done as an exercise.....one of the tasks at the back of Chapter 7 in "The Artist's Way".  It's always been one of my favorite ways to "play"......put on some music and doodle until it's done.  This was maybe 35 minutes or so.  I'm not sure what it's all about but, for some reason it makes me think I have been watching too much of the show "Vikings" on the History channel!

5 comments:

Jan said...

I like it too, robin. It is strangely asymmetrical but it definitely works. Your second one, I understand how you could see a Viking influence but I see a thing like a Nautilus, a shell with tentacles. Very cool!

Isabelle said...

I just found you and your mandalas are beautiful! Can you give me some pointers on how to start? How do you make all your shapes so similar? Also, could you tell me what type of paint or pens you are using? Thank you so much!

Isabelle

april said...

Beautiful, Robin! Love it! It's a beautiful lady snail!

Robin said...

Thanks you guys! Jan, the nautilus shell you spoke of makes me think of the front of a Viking ship or the designs on their shields! Or a snail as April mentioned! Isabelle, I would love to share some info with you but it might be a bit long-winded for this comment window. Please email me!
robinalayne_neumann@comcast.net I am glad you found me!

Elena said...

You finally found your niche! Very cool